17/06/2013

Tattoo Hullaballo

Today was a Lazy Day in terms of activity, but creatively speaking, it involved a fairly huge brainstorming/internet research session! After doodling around for the better part of the day in my sketchbook, I got thinking at tattoos again.

Studio 9 Tattoos
TattooHow



Tattoos are one of those things that I love and hate in equal measure. I love tattoos done well. I love that they're creative and that they can be impulsive and meaningful and whimsical and stupid and ridiculous and pretty and in memorial and in defiance and in support. I love that they can be colourful or simple and teeny tiny or huge. I love that they're a talking point, and that they're an accessory you don't have to bother with putting on and taking off. You can't ever lose them, like you could a cherished item of jewelry. They can be secret or exposed to the world.

Marion Photography Studio
Maggie Keegan Gross Photography
BUT, and it's a big but, tattoos gone wrong can be really wrong. You could fall out of love with the design. You could wish you'd had it somewhere else. You could stop liking the thing that it represents or the memory that inspired it. You could get bored. You could get turned down for a job. It could fade, or smudge. You could have a bad reaction to the ink. It hurts. Once you've done it, it's done. It's so...THERE. Always there.

Oh So Lovely Vintage
Poppycock Tattoos
I've been torn for a while over whether I want a tattoo, because on one hand I really really do, and on the other, I'm FAR too fickle and indecisive to ever make up my mind on what it should be. And whilst there's something lovely about getting impulse tattoos, 'live in the moment' ones that you promise yourself you'll love forever because of the very fact that it reminds you of BEING impulsive, I'm just not the kind of person who's comfy doing something like that. I need to know that what I'm potentially getting will be something that has a strong and lovely reason behind it, and that that strong and lovely reason won't go away. I'm terrified of putting a design on myself that in 5 or 10 or 20 years I might hate or be indifferent about. And so far, nothing has been quite right. No designs I've seen or tried to sketch myself have been quite what I'm looking for. And I think the problem is, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Shaded Lady
Inkah
Maybe I like the idea of tattoos more than I like a specific tattoo? I don't know. All I know is that I can't seem to get rid of the little buzz in my mind that tells me I want one, and so until it goes, if it ever does, I'm going to continue to deliberate and ponder and sketch and search. So far, my ideas have centered around things I love most in the world, things I've always loved and that I don't see changing much - the Narnia books, space and astronomy, dinosaurs, The Little Prince, Harry Potter and writing/words. All of the pictures in this post are from my Tattoo Hullabaloo pinterest board, where I'm  gathering all my ideas in the hope that one day, either something will jump out as being The One, or my urge to ink will slowly and quietly disappear. I do know that I'd only want something small, and probably in black and white, and in a very wispy outline only/illustrative style. I like wrist and ankle and foot and back of elbow tattoos. I'm starting to like back of calf tattoos. And behind ear ones!

Daily Snapshot
Tea With Lemon
I also LOVE seeing fellow bloggers tattoos - Lyzi's are beautiful and think her moon is incredible - so if any of you have any stories you'd like to share, please link me in the comments! I really enjoy hearing tattoo tales and also, if anyone has any advice/recommendations about the process as a whole, I'd welcome it with much appreciation.

So there. Tattoos. The chosen topic of my Monday. Go!

19 comments:

  1. I've been considering getting a tattoo for years... But like you I might like the idea of a tattoo more than that I actually want to be stuck with one for the rest of my life. Maybe one day we'll come across that one design that changes everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's reassuring to know someone else is in the same predicament! Lots of people tell me to stop worrying and overthinking it and just GO for one, but I'm too much of a wuss to make the commitment on a whim!

      Delete
  2. these are all gorgeous! I have five small tattoos- two of which I LOVE and three I'm kinda not sure. I don't regret them, they mean something but my tastes have changed. I love them regardless I think, for what they meant at the time.
    Currently planning my next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That;s good to know! And it's what the logical side of my brain says - I probably WOULD love mine in a few years, even if I grew out of the design, just because they're part of me and whatnot, but then a little voice says NOOOO YOU HAVE TO LOVE WHAT YOU GET FOREVER! Haha. I think I'm just too scatterbrained. What are you thinking of having next?

      Delete
  3. I love these ideas, the pencil one is great and pretty easy to hide too! I love tattoos on other people but I doubt I will ever get one myself...

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I adore the pencil! I wouldn't get it behind my ear as I want to be able to see my tattoo and not just in the mirror, but it's definitely cute :)

      Delete
  4. That pencil tattoo is beautiful. I would never get one myself because I am a huge wuss (needles eeeeek!) but these are great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just! Everyone seems to love the pencil...I think I'd love a similar one one day, if I do ever man up and get the elusive 'perfect' tattoo first!

      Delete
  5. I have two tattoos, both words only. I love the idea of an image or something symbolic but I can't help but think they date more than words and would look weird on me when I'm old and grey... Kinda crazy but I like my words because the font can't really date that much and they'll offer the same interpretation in 50 years as they do now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point! The only thing with words is that I've seen them smudge and fade over time if they're really delicate, and delicate is what I'm after really...plus, if I had to choose words I'd be in an ever bigger dilemma as there's SO many book/film/song quotes I adore!

      What do you have, out of interest? :)

      Delete
  6. I have two tattoos and love them both, but I'm definitely the kind of person who could hate the actual tattoo in twenty years time and yet still love it for what it meant when I got it, if that makes sense?
    I didn't find actually getting them that painful at all, although neither of them are in particularly painful areas - one on my wrist and one on the top of my thigh.
    Definitely take your time to choose one if you're not sure, though :)
    I really enjoyed reading this post! Thanks for sharing :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow rally wonder full design. grate ideas for small and unique part

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so amazing and cool

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these are the best tattoo designs.I love this post.Hope i will get one from these tattoo ideas.Thanks for this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice tattoos on body

    hairstylecraze.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome designs thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete