21/02/2014

Wanderings | Barcelona!

HELLO! Or should that be HOLA? Heh! If you follow me on twitter and instagram you'll have no doubt noticed that this time last week I jetted off for a mini weekend city break with Charlie, staying Friday-Sunday in the Catalonian haunt of Barcelona. We had a brilliant time exploring, eating all the food and drinking all the sangria and going on all the metros (does anyone else really like using foreign metro systems? I may just be weird...), in addition to seeing a plethora of pretty things and soaking up the unexpected and really quite pleasant February sun!

We managed to fit in a trip to the Sagrada Familia (my new favourite place), the Gaudi museum, Park Guell, the beach, the harbour/marina, Las Ramblas, the Palace and Montjuic Fountains, Avenue Diagonal and also wandered in and around the streets between Espanya and the Passeig du Gracia. Mornings began with pastry and nights ended with tapas and paella, and of course more sangria! I got quite fond of the strange Spanish eating times ('lunch' at 2pm-ish, 'tea' at 10pm-ish) even though we were only there for just short of three days, and my only regret is not sampling some of the delicious looking churros as an afternoon snack when I had the chance! I did find out that I like razor clams, periwinkles and (to Charlie's smug delight) mussels, the latter of which I've been a staunch hater of my whole life - I remain convinced that it was only because these particular mussels were covered in squid ink and mixed into a well seasoned and delicious paella that I was able to tolerate them!
















Our hotel was located quite handily in Espanya for food and drink, and wasn't too far away from any of the main attractions on the metro, although we did get a bit lost wander for miles after reaching the harbour on the Saturday before finding our way back... We were also lucky enough to be able to see the Magic Fountains of Montjuic, as they'd began their seasonal shows last week, and despite getting a minor injury on my ankle from clambering over the palace walled gardens, it really was spectacularly beautiful. 

Overall, we had a fantastic time and could easily have stayed another day or so and explored the shopping areas more, we found a fabulous little 'hipster quarter' near to the Park Guell on the last day that I'd have liked to have gone back to, and of course if it had been midsummer a day on the beach wouldn't have been a bad way to relax in and amongst our wanderings! I absolutely loved the riot of colour and light inside the Sagrada Familia, and am now dreaming of a home filled with stained glass windows, spotlights and glittering shadows...

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, I definitely want to visit at some point...

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food and wine is worth going for itself tbh! ;)

      Hope you do get to experience it one day xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't realise the cathedral was so beautiful! I've been to Spain a lot (going again in April!), but never Barcelona - definitely on the to-do list. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beyond beautiful, my photos and words do not do it justice at all! Seriously, it's like being in a whole other world; a cocoon of colour and light. And it feels weirdly peaceful and magical, in the way that only old buildings do!

      If you get the chance to go to Barca, definitely brave the entry queues and visit it. Worth every minute/euro! xx

      Delete
    2. I'm very excited to go now! One day..... xx

      Delete